Dear Parents and Carers,
I am writing to you to share the positive news regarding our recent Ofsted inspection. The Ofsted judgements were that St Joseph’s no longer requires Special Measures and is Good in all categories.
This news is very encouraging for us all as it demonstrates that the changes we have worked hard to introduce into the College are proving to be successful. The removal of Special Measures is not easy and Ofsted only recommend it when they are confident that the future of the school is secure. Many schools in the Special Measures category move to the Requires Improvement category. St Joseph’s has moved straight to Good. This is particularly impressive as it has been accomplished in just under fifty school weeks.
Ofsted make the following judgements which feed into the overall judgement.
- Achievement is good
- Leadership is good
- The behaviour and safety of pupils are good
- The quality of teaching is good
- The Sixth Form is good
Throughout the inspection, Ofsted were impressed by the hard work, commitment and dedication of our staff and students. They share our confidence that standards are good. They are impressed by the strong improvements in the quality of teaching and the changes to the curriculum.
As a parent, I hope that you will be pleased with the many positive comments that the Inspectors made about our community, in particular they said:
- “A culture of working together exists to ensure that students receive a highly effective educational experience”
- Our students are “polite … exhibiting good attitudes to learning”
- “positive working relationships exist between teachers and students ”
- “Teaching across most subjects and in the Sixth Form, is at least consistently good”
- “The quality of feedback and marking students receive is usually of high quality”
- “Achievement has risen significantly across the college and continues to improve”
- “Our Sixth Form students are making good progress”
I would like to thank all those parents who responded positively to the Parent View questionnaire. 86% of the 107 respondents said they would recommend the school to other parents. We do know we still have some areas to improve. However, I hope you agree that today’s news is incredibly encouraging and provides evidence that we are going from strength to strength.
I would like to thank all students, parents, staff and Governors for their hard work and dedication since the College was placed in Special Measures 14 months ago. This is an important judgment for the College and our wider community. I am delighted that our combined hard work has been recognised by Ofsted. You can read the full report on our website or ask at Reception for a paper copy.
We look forward to continuing this positive trend into the future.